New Worlds

Discussion and Review area for things read and seen
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

New Worlds

Post by John »

My collection of New Worlds continues to grow nearer to completion.

NW was the premier UK SF magazine, starting its life in 1946 under the editorship of John Carnell. It got interesting, and my collection starts, with its move to Compact SF under the new editor Michael Moorcock. Then sysnonymous with the free-thinking and radical new SF of the 1960s it continued as a paperback book format until issue 172.

Issues 173-201 are the A4 magazine issues of the late 1960s, and these pushed back the boundaries to such an extent that one issue was pulped (the rare issue 180, which I now have) and W H Smith declined to distribute it. Questions were asked in the House of Commons.

When the Arts Council withdrew their support, Michael Moorcock continued to finance it as he could, but it was doomed to fold.

My collection is complete from 142-172 and I now have all but 6 from the 173-201 run.

They wouldn't make my maiden aunt blush these days, but in its time this was cutting edge stuff. When the set is complete I intend to read them again.
John
Site Admin

Re: New Worlds

Post by John »

It's proving very slow to get these as unfortunately they go for quite high prices when they do appear, rarely, on eBay.

However, only four to go now, maybe three if my current bid on issue 174 is successful!
John
Site Admin

Re: New Worlds

Post by John »

I'm happy to report that the collection is now complete and I have goiod copies of issues 142-201.

Now I shall start to read them, because that is the function of a magazine. To be read... :)