Flook by Trog

Discussion and Review area for things read and seen
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

Flook by Trog

Post by John »

Flook ran for many, many years as a strip cartoon in the Daily Mail until it fell victim to an Editor who thought it was to left wing. In fact, although often political it was a very, very clever cartoon. Drawn by Trog (Wally Fawkes) and with a script by I think George Melly it still reads well today.

The premise is a small boy called Rufus who finds a friend who is a small pig-like creature with a small elephant's trunk that falls through time. Flook is capable of changing shape, but does so less as the years go by.

There are some lovely touches. Fred Teeth is the Preservative Candidate (Ted Heath) and Mr Muckybrass (where there's muck there's brass) is of course Harold Wilson. Other politicians of the day are mercilessly caricatured in Trog's inimitable style. Margaret of Finchley is a comely wench in "Flook and the Peasant's Revolt"...

Even the Borgias are parodied, with Lucretia Bodger the witch flying around on her vacuum cleaner and Bodger himself the typical thick villain with a likeable dishonesty about him.

There are some books of the strip cartoons although they may well be quite rare. There is also a rubber Flook toy that squeaks, and I had one once. I believe they sell for £10,000 so I'm not pleased that my Mum threw mine away!

5s
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Flook by Trog

Post by Mike »

You do have some issues with the whole flook throwing don't you. . . After 40 years too!
John
Site Admin

Re: Flook by Trog

Post by John »

No, not at all, I'm quite calm about it.

I want my toy Flook!!!!!! :evil:

Just kidding, honest... 8)