Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)

Discussion and Review area for things read and seen
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)

Post by John »

We thought we'd try the "new" series of this, so the first DVD duly arrived from LoveFilm.

The original series was moderately amusing but this re-make, although having far superior production values, seems a bit unsympathetic to the format and definitely does not take itself seriously. It's disrespectful in a way - I think if you are making a re-make of something you should at least take the project seriously ebven if it's a comedy of sorts.

Frivolous without hitting the mark. I've cancelled the rest of the DVD set.

2s
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)

Post by Mike »

I thought it was okay. From memory I rated it a 3S at the beginning of the series rising to a 4S by the end. I was not too precious about the original series though so that might have had an effect on my rating.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

I'm not sure I'm too precious about the original series either - it was never one of my favourites. Ironically it has worn better than many. Some of the 60s series now look very, very weak.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

We've been working our way through the original series, starring Mike Pratt and Kenneth Cope, and I'm actually quite impressed. The scripts are good and the directors, mostly film directors of some note, are very efficient. They are tightly made, good humoured and entertaining.

So the original series gets a 4s