The Four Seasons Live 1971

An area for all musical discussion
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

The Four Seasons Live 1971

Post by John »

This post is the first in a series of short reviews of the concerts I have seen by Frankie Valli & The 4 Seasons. It spans the years 1971 - 1993 as live shows, although I may include years that I have only heard recordings of.

February 1971 was the first show I saw, at the Odeon Theatre in Manchester. Even though Frankie's falsetto was the trademark of the group, I didn't believe it could really be like the records and thought they would hide and dodge the high notes. But I was totally wrong and the vocals were strong, upfront, solid and faultless throughout. In fact, rather than avoid the falsetto they ran after it and it was to the forefront of the music.

This was a hugely powerful performance and introcusced me to some terrific things that, sadly, were never completed as recordings. "I Got Love" is a simple somg, but a great and lively opener that would have made a perfect single release. It was planned, but never got done.

"Bridge Over Troubled Water/The Long & Winding Road/I Will Drink The Wine/McArthur Park" is one of several superb medleys of other people's sings that the group totally make their own, with new and exciting arrangements. This was the full length version, but they have performed shorter versions sometimes, depemding on the type of show and venue. Another tragic loss in that only basic tracks were ever laid down and the recording was not completed.

"Any Day Now/Oh Happy Day" was also uniquely Four Seasons and this was new to me at this show, but was actually recorded and released on the album "Half & Half" and is a highlight of that album.

I have never experienced such a short 90 minutes, but it was electric.

5s