Close Up (Private Stock, 1975)

An area for all musical discussion
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

Close Up (Private Stock, 1975)

Post by John »

1975 was a very good year for both Frankie Valli as a solo artist and The Four Seasons as a group. It was the year that saw The Night as a major UK success, Who Loves You as a new hit single and of course My Eyes Adored You, rescued from Motown when the group moved on. Private Stock picked up the solo Valli work and tireless promotion from him made the record a gigantic hit on both sides of the pond.

Close Up, featuring a nice image of Frankie and then-wife Marianne on the cover, was the album. My Eyes Adored You was joined by a selection of new ballads and some faster numbers, not quite disco yet, but with solid Latin-American roots. The classic example is the 10 minute version of Swearin' To God, Frankie's second Private Stock single and another huge hit.

The other tracks on the album are competent, but they don't fizz and sparkle. Only "I Got Love For You Ruby" lifts itself above the rest and indeed it was the only other one that Frankie performed live in concert.

For me, My Eyes Adored You has been played out again and again, so it leaves the one 10 minute track that I really, really like. Without this version of "Swearin' To God" things here would be relatively dull.

Overall: 3s
Swearin' To God Full Version: 5s