The Four Seasons Collection (Gem 0111)

An area for all musical discussion
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

The Four Seasons Collection (Gem 0111)

Post by John »

This is actually a karaoke disc, so the question is how good is it and also how useable. All 17 tracks are performed and recorded to a very high standard and are very authentic to the originals. No fault with that at all.

I think the real problem is one of musical key. The originals are pitched quite high to match Frankie Valli's voice, so I wondered if these recordings would be in the original key (ouch) or would have been lowered slightly to give us all a fighting chance.

The answer is a mixture, so be warned, and if you feel tempted to have a go in public then listen to them first and choose the ones that suit your voice. The Frankie valli solo ones are very tough indeed, and in the case of My Eyes Adored You surprisingly difficult because of a key clash in the music. There is a very misleading intro that is impossible to follow, and frankly I wouldn't even attempt what ought to be one of the easier songs.

Obviously it depends on your voice, but for me the favourites to perform are those which stretch things a little but don't go over the top. From this CD, I would choose to do Big Girls Don't Cry, Candy Girl, Don't Think Twice, Let's Hang On, Rag Doll or Walk Like a Man. Some others are also possible on a good day, but after warming up a little!

A good selection and a viable CD to perform to.

5s