Frankie Valli - Tribute on Ice

An area for all musical discussion
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

Frankie Valli - Tribute on Ice

Post by John »

This is a pretty strange concept. A live concert by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons at an ice rink, complete with a display of ice skating throughout the performance.

Strange or not it got sold to USA TV and an edited version ended up on Sky Sports. Why they edited out the most recent UK hit (Beggin') though does display the ignorance of TV planners, who probably have little idea what they are showing.

The skating was extremely professional and very impressive.

The concert was really Frankie Valli backed by four singer/dancers and a small orchestra. The only familiar face now is the versatile Robbie Robinson on keyboards. Robbie has been Frankie's Musical Director for a very long time, since about 1980. He still has the same pony tail, and several stone more weight.

Frankie is probably around 78 now and admitting to being 76 or so. The voice is still there, no doubt about that, and so is the falsetto, albeit all being a little gentler. The medleys have gone and now we have full versions of everything from Sherry onwards, really pretty impressive even though it's a long way from his vocal peak.

An interesting concept performed efficiently and competently. Not sure for how much longer though.

4s
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

Re: Frankie Valli - Tribute on Ice

Post by John »

I've now been sent a full length version of the show, with a much better quality soundtrack.

Needless to say, Sky edited out some of the best bits, such as a pretty powerful version of Tell It To The Rain. Frankie even did some of the falsetto ending, and when he did it was quite clear he was pretty pleased with the way it came out. When he knows he's done a particularly good job, he sort of beams inside and it leaks out...

Also noteworthy was the extra long version of Swearin' To God, always well received.

Now I've heard a better quality version I will re-rate it to reflect that old feeling of excitement that always bubbles over!

5s