Images of England

A forum to discuss anything not specified elsewhere
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

Images of England

Post by John »

Well today Sue and I had a terrific day's photography, polishing off almost all the targets I have left to photograph for this English Heritage project.

There are 9 targets left to do before the project's photography stops at the end of September.

After that, the images may take a while to get on the website, but there are already over 300,000 up and running out of a total number of 370,000.

Probably not 100% will be done because as it nears the end all the awkward ones are always left and it takes ever more time. There is a law of diminishing returns.

Anyway, have a look at http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk and see what has been achieved.
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

Post by John »

And now it's done. The pictures are shot, the films and paperwork sent off and I shall miss doing the pictures for the project, even though I never managed to do as many as I had originally hoped.

If the project were started now though I don't think it would be shot on film. Digital SLRs are pretty commonplace amongst enthusiasts, so I think IofE would have sent out memory cards for us to use. These would have been sent back when full, the images downloaded and then the cards used again.

It would have cost a fraction of the money that it did cost.

However, in 2000, when the project started, DSLRs were not readily available and file formats were not standardised. These days it would be shot in JPEG methinks. The early DSLRs used specific RAW files that have already bit the dust. Kodak RAW anyone?
mr_e

Post by mr_e »

Ah, I had been wondering why it was done on film. I never realised the project had been on the go for so long! It's reminded me to go register on the site so I can have a good browse as well.
im on ur forums, using ur bandwidth.