The Leaning Tower of Soo-Chow

A forum to discuss anything not specified elsewhere
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

The Leaning Tower of Soo-Chow

Post by John »

We are now talking about Shanghai and a small discovery that makes me realise that books still have an advantage over the internet.

I have been reading through anold Odhams publication "Wonders Of The World" - undated, but probably late 1940s/early 1950s. It has lots of pictures and text about far away wonders.

We are well familiar with the leaning tower at Pisa, but how about the leaning tower at Soo-Chow? This is also known as the Tiger Hill Pagoda.

With the image of the old photo in my mind, the tower shown leaning as it is, and covered with moss and foliage, I searched the dreaded and all-powerful Google. Sure enough the town still exists, although the place name is now recorded as Suzhou, and Tiger Hill is a Tourist Attraction. Somehow that very fact diminishes the power and romantic mystery of the building. It is now cleaned up, the colour photos of it reveal traces of red paint and it looks totally sterile. Not only that but all the photographers have straightened the building in their viewfinders.

The building remains, but its spirit is lost.