The Current State of Play

Discuss all things Pentax here
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

The Current State of Play

Post by John »

With posting so much on Pentax User and ADAPS and Facebook and ePHOTOzine and goodness knows where else, there's not been much time to update my own forum. I put things on here that avoid getting Facebook wound up sometimes, but generally there's nothing left to say when I've finished elsewhere.

But just an update on what kit is currently in use.

For the main it's the Pentax K-1 with a variety of full frame lenses, some old, some new. All Pentax except for a 14mm f/2.8 Samyang, and I've been very impressed by Samyang just lately. So, F 17-28mm Fisheye, FA 20-35mm f/4, D-FA 28-105mm, FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited, FA-J 75-300mm, HD D-FA 150-450mm, D-FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro, D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

The back up is an APS-C format Pentax K-3 II with all the crop sensor lenses we've used for a while. No recent additions there.

Carry everywhere photojournalism camera is the Pentax MX-1

Waterproof camera is the Pentax WG-3

Miniature kit is the Pentax Q-S1 with several lenses.

The new Pentax 50mm f/1.4 looks as though it may be rather interesting!
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

Re: The Current State of Play

Post by John »

As I've been doing the lens and camera reviews for ePHOTOzine, all sorts of cameras and lenses come my way. A fantastic solid stream of Interesting Things.

It shows up that all marques are good and less good at specific things, but one odd strength of Pentax AF systems seems to be the ability to focus on very small or thin subject matter. So, for example, a single frond of tall grass in front of a busy landscape will fox many AF systems that constantly focus on the background. The Pentax gets it every time.

So, if you routinely do such things you now know the answer!