4G or not 4G?

A forum to discuss anything not specified elsewhere
John
Site Admin
Spam Protection: No

4G or not 4G?

Post by John »

New phones have arrived, so far so good. Is 4G worth the extra cost? Maybe, it has to be said that when the signal is good it excels and I have been getting speeds of around 10 Mbps, which is twice as fast as my home broadband. The snag comes when the signal isn't so good, and it drops to 3G or even GPRS. But with that caveat, it's still the way forward and it is IMHO worth the slightly extra cost.

It's worth mentioning that we use iPhones and the upgrade path is much simpler because of that. I know that some complain that it locks people in to a particular company, but simple is good and I don't really care. If I wanted to, I could lock myself into Android or anything else, but I don't want to. The iPhone 5S is compact and efficient and that's fine with me!
Mike
Site Admin

Re: 4G or not 4G?

Post by Mike »

I like the 4G but because the speed of connection is so much quicker I have motored through my data allowance 12 days early. Will need to keep tracks of this, don't want it to be a recurring theme!
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

In Manchester, the connection can exceed 20 Mbps, which is fantastic. Less so as we move away from the city centre.

At home, 4G is intermittent at best, but it's good in Edgeley!
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Since I wrote this I've been getting some crazy 4G speeds. At one point I measured 95 Mbps, although to be fair it could have been a local Virginmedia hotspot for all I know.

But whatever the reason, it's going very well.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It is a shame that O2 doesn't improve its service in Central Manchester! I am barely being able to connect to the internet at all.

M